Yes, it's a helper tool. It runs for a couple of seconds (under normal conditions) and exits immediately. It interacts with the file system by reading information about some directories, so its launched duration is, of course, bound to the responsiveness of the hard drive on which it's operating. As such, "a couple of seconds" might be "five or ten seconds" on machines where the drive is spinning up, otherwise busy, etc. It's certainly possible that someone might invoke fast user switching right in the middle of the tool running, but it's /probably/ not an issue. I'm still not quite convinced it isn't, just yet. I need to do more thinking about it. The discussion so far has been very helpful.

As far as connecting to the window server goes, Apple states:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html#SECWINDOWSERVER

"Apple plans to disable the global window server service in a future release of Mac OS X. Do not write any new code that uses the global window server service."

So when you say "default window server", are you speaking of the global window server, or the default window server associated with the current console session?

--
m-s