On 24 Apr 2008, at 16:10, Dave Jewell wrote:

On 24 Apr 2008, at 8:42 am, Graham Cox wrote:

Aside: your ivars shouldn't start with an underscore - Apple reserves
such names for its own classes.

Interesting - I was unaware of that convention. Dietmar Planitzer provides something of an alternative view here:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2004/Jan/msg01976.html

It can be summarised as: if your ivars clash with Apple's, the compiler will barf anyway...

Or you could use $ instead of _. $ works just fine in identifiers, even if it does make your program look like it's written in Perl (spit).

Not that I do that myself; I tend just to name my instance variables without prefixes.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net