How exactly would I go about replacing the DefaultDesktop.jpg image in core services with a objective c cocoa app. I'm just starting with cocoa, so any help is greatly appreciated.

You'd want to write an application that uses AuthServices to obtain permission to use NSFileManager to back up the user's original DefaultDesktop.jpg (since you're a nice, well-behaved application and all), then to copy some other image over the original.

Each of these things is well-documented in Apple's documentation and well-covered in this list's archives and there's a lot to know, so your first step is to read. A lot. ;-)

--
I.S.