Thanks for all the help. What I'm doing now is [[NSApp menu] menuBarHeight]. I find that I still have to subtract some hard coded value (6 is what I picked) - because of course I want the image contained in the menu, not sticking out. That said, I feel much better about hardcoding that vs. the full image size.