First, Ross, thank you for your comments. I was going about this
somewhat wrong and you took the time to think it through.

I think you are right that it would be easiest to separate the
different note series into their own TextStorage. Then I could add
custom attributes to each text that determine where they are tied
together. The delegate methods would be lots of code, but fairly
straight-forward.

I also would be curious to hear from text experts how footnotes are
normally done. I have the luxury of small blocks of text and not
worrying about page breaks, which makes the situation somewhat easier.

-Adam