Hi,

I have an application that saves its information as a file package. My
NSDocument subclass overrides -saveDocument: to save individual files within
the project folder (because there can be hundreds of files and I wouldn't want
to save the whole file wrapper every time a single file is changed). It
overrides -readFromURL:... to load in data from the project package that is
initially required, and then other files are only loaded as and when needed.
All of which works very well.

A couple of months ago, I posted about a data loss issue two users had had:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2008/2/19/199368

I never got to the bottom of the issue, and now another user has reported the
same thing. To recap: whilst my app was open, the user's computer went into
deep sleep (this was the case with the first two users; the third user cannot
remember the exact circumstances but says his computer has had deep sleep
problems recently). When it came out of deep sleep, everything in the project's
file wrapper - that is, everything in the folder-with-extension on disk - had
been wiped. All that was in there were the few files that were auto-saved
_after_ deep sleep.

There is nothing in my app that would go through and delete everything in this
manner - or at least, nothing obvious that I've done. Instead, it seems that
during deep sleep something happens whereby the whole file package gets
replaced/overwritten with a blank one. But again, I don't know how this could
be as I never, ever write out the whole wrapper - only individual documents get
written inside the wrapper in the -saveDocument: method.

So, my question is: is there anything that can happen during deep sleep that
could make an NSDocument overwrite itself? Is there anything in the document
architecture that could cause this when working with packages?

I'm really at a loss on this. Fortunately, as I know of, this has only happened
to three of thousands of users. But three is still too many when it comes to
data loss, obviously. Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on
where to start digging.

All the best,
Keith