To the original poster:

How much experience do you have with threads?  I'm a little confused reading
through your posts, I can't tell if you are familiar with pthreads, and just
need to figure out NSThreads, or if you have no threading experience at all.

To everyone that has both Cocoa and threading experience:

Can NSView rendering be done on a worker thread, but without displaying the
results?  It occurred to me that if this is possible, another option to the
original problem would be to have a pool of worker threads that render the
thumbnails/PDFviews in the background.  It would simply be a matter of
having a thread-safe priority queue (so if the user clicks on a thumbnail,
it gets jumped to the head of the queue), and let the threads grab whatever
happens to be the highest priority to work on, returning the results to the
main thread to display later.  Alternatively, each time you click on a
thumbnail, it could spawn a thread, with the thread returning the results to
the main thread when it is done.

Thanks,
Cem Karan