No, that's not the same thing.  The method you suggest assumes an exact
encoding; the sniffer functions from TextEncodingConverter look at the data to
see if it follows the patterns appropriate for a suggested set of encodings and
lets you know which one would be the best match.  Typically, such sniffers are
best for differentiating DBCS-based characters where there's a sequence like
you'd find in Shift-JIS and the like.  Let me know when you find the "Cocoa"
way to do this.