Is there a way to wrap up an NSAlert, the beginSheetModalForWindow call, and the alertDidEnd implementation, such that a caller can just call one function which blocks until the alert is dismissed?

i.e. something like
if ([SynchronousAlert showAlertWithMessageText:@"Do you want to delete etc" defaultButton:@"Delete" alternateButton:@"Cancel"] == NSAlertFirstButtonReturn)
// delete the thing or whatever

I'm starting to see that this is probably bad cocoa style, but at the same time I find it very inconvenient to have to break up logic so the code handling the return value is in a different place from the code that displays the alert - is this really necessary?

For example, let's say you've already implemented some feature, and later realise that there is a need for a confirmation alert part-way through the process - you now need to split the post-confirm logic out to the alertDidEnd - right? Which could be a real hassle?

I've done some web & mailing list searching but haven't found any good alternatives. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rua HM.