No, not using bindings, but good point & yes, the param type was a typo.
While everything 'seems' to be working now, the info that I got in the debugger when I was seeing problems looked suspiciously like the state of things when an object has been released but is then referenced. I need to dig deeper and make sure that I'm not going to be bitten later on - like in production code...

Thanks for all of the input.
-Craig