Does anybody have any code samples or tutorials on opening/saving documents with conditional handling for different file types? Conceptually, handling the content is not a problem. The thing I'm not sure about is how to hook up a document-based app to handle additional file types but with the preferred native document type. My app's documents are little more than an array of strings, where each string is a sub document. The thing I want to do is export all as a single text file or as individual text files, and likewise import a text file with simple string symbols as separators (basically like a CSV file).
Handling the text and doing things with it is easy.
I just don't know what sort of design patterns exist for handling additional file types.

thanks in advance
John Joyce