Hi all,

I have a nib file containing an NSObjectController. The NSObjectController's content is set to the File's Owner proxy object, and this creates a retain cycle. (The file's owner never gets deallocated because the object controller retains it, and the object controller never gets deallocated because the file's owner retains it as an IBOutlet.)

This is obviously a bad thing to do, but I always thought that it was good design for views and controls to be bound to an NSObjectController rather than the file's owner directly, since NSObjectController then takes care of all the NSEditor protocol stuff, you get auto-completion for model key names in Interface Builder, etc. Is there a better method than what I'm doing? (I would think that setting an NSObjectController's content object to the file's owner is a reasonably common scenario, so I can't be alone in experiencing this memory leak.) Binding a control directly to the file's owner seems kinda skanky.

Also, I've Googled around a ton and found a lot of references to memory leaks that occur when binding to the file's owner, but it appears that those bugs are fixed up in 10.4. (The last messages and blog posts I saw about this topic were from 2004.) Is that correct?

--
% Andre Pang : trust.in.love.to.save  <http://www.algorithm.com.au/>