You're probably thinking CoreImage. Checkout the CIFilter docs, there's a few builtin glass filters available.

On May 15, 2008, at 3:01 AM, John Clayton wrote:

A few months ago, while browsing code headers at random (lets just call this a little passtime of mine), I noticed a method call that took an image and then added a glass effect to it.

I believe this was in the Core Graphics headers somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it now.

Does anyone know if this exists and where it might be? (don't tell me I was just dreaming).