Is there a document which describes how columns interact with enclosed cells
when dealing with bindings?

There's a message flow going on that I'm not aware of. setObjectValue is
passed different things for the same binding depending on if my class
subclasses NSTextFieldCell or NSButtonCell. I don't see a way to fake it out
without seeing more of the message flow. Too bad the source code isn't
available. In the Java world, if worse comes to worse you can read the
source to understand how framework classes interact.

I've also read about a delegate method on
NSOutlineView, outlineView:willDisplayCell:forTableColumn:item:
Is this a more appropriate way to solve the problem? Should I be able to
modify the title of a button cell through this delegate method?