Hi

  else
   {
       enable = [super validateMenuItem:menuItem];
   }
I wasn't, but when I did, it still was only called for the File menu.

-validateMenuItem: is deprecated; you should probably be using
-validateUserInterfaceItem:
Tried validateUserInterfaceItem, no change.

I recommend Hillegass's standard, Cocoa Programming for
Mac OS X, Third Edition (the previous editions may confuse you as
Interface Builder has drastically changed with Leopard).
I forgot to mention I'm on Tiger with Xcode 2.5.
I have Learning Cocoa With Objective-C, 2nd Edition O'Reilly.

In particular, keep in mind the
actions that the File menu items have versus the actions of all other
menu items, and why this would cause AppKit to only invoke your
document's -validateMenuItem: method for File menu items.
The example "SimpleToolbar" has a validateMenuItem method in MyDocument.m and it too only gets called for the File menu but the Edit menu is properly updated for Cut, Copy and Paste.
I guess NSTextView handles it.

thanks
Jeff