Actually, I don't understand why an RTFM kind of answer is perceived as rude. I'm really happy when I get an RTFM *with a link* to the appropriate document.

Also, I often just don't answer at all, since an RTFM may not be well received and I don't have the time to write a more elaborate answer. Oh well.

Though somewhat outside the central topic, this is an important point, especially for newbies. It's rare that I respond with an "RTFM"; it's only when I really, truly believe the person has demonstrated themselves to be outright lazy. Most of the time, when I suspect they didn't read the manual (because I can remember the exact place I read the answer since I did so a number of times), I harp on using the magical thing called a search engine. Some people do seem terminally inept at merely *searching* for a definition. It's called "cross-referencing".

Regardless, when I see someone who fights when they're told to do their homework , I usually place them on my ignore list (whether I was the one they fought or not). It's a cautionary tale any list member should take note of because, while few will outright say it, most of the experienced members will do exactly that. If you don't have time to search and can't accept being reminded to do so, we don't have time to bother with you and you will be ignored.

Nothing to do with Cocoa or this list specifically ... it's been like that as long as I can remember on every technical mailing list. The resounding theme: do your research because we're not going to do it for you.

--
I.S.