On May 19, 2008, at 1:51 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

I would guess that the Security framework is requiring user confirmation to allow the app to bypass certificate checking.

Well, no. NSURLRequest's setAllowsAnyHTTPSCertificate:forHost: does exactly that, immediately and without user confirmation.

One may (should) choose to use get user permission first. Could be a homegrown dialog, asking "Do you want to use a brute-force, unsupported private API to ignore this certificate and make this download work?" Or it could be via Security framework and SFCertificateTrustPanel, showing the certificate and what's wrong with it to the user before they make their choice. But setAllowsAnyHTTPSCertificate:forHost doesn't care whether you ask or not.