On 21 May '08, at 9:22 PM, Lynn Barton wrote:

I am getting the date OK,
but not the type code, which should be “TEXT” for text files and might be
“WBBN” for a Microsoft Word document.

Most files don't have HFS type or creator codes anymore, because Cocoa apps don't usually set them. (Word probably does, because it's been around forever.) And downloaded files generally don't have them either unless they were encoded with StuffIt or MacBinary.

In general you're better off checking the filename extension. (I know. I used to be rabidly in favor of HFS types over extensions, but I gave up that fight years ago...)

—Jens