Peter, I've run into something similar and I think it has to do with the window server not making a window active (i.e. main and key) if it has the borderless attribute. The workaround I ended up using was to override a private undocumented NSWindow method which controls use to query the active state of the window, to always return YES.

Unfortunately I've dug through a mountain of code but can't find where I used it. Someone else may remember this trick and help me out... of course, it's not a great solution but it works from 10.3 through 10.5 so far...

G.