On May 22, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Greg Titus wrote:
On May 21, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Johnny Lundy wrote:

This is just one example of that "little tidbit" that is always left out of these references by Apple. It seems to be the <.O. for some reason. The "tidbit" isn't some extraneous bell or whistle; it's always something fundamental.

They can't take 2 lines instead of 1 to document the behavior of a class method?

A lot of people have already mentioned that the memory management semantics for these methods are the same everywhere and are described in the conceptual documentation. I'd like to answer the obvious follow up question: even if it is described in the concept docs, how would it hurt to repeat it in the NSArray class method references? It is just one more line...

The reason is that the location of the information says something very important about its specificity or generality.
[...explanation snipped...]

Silly me, I misread this post. Greg was answering why the line *shouldn't* be added, not arguing that it *should*.

Anyway, I still think it wouldn't be so bad. Sometimes it's okay to denormalize data a little. I would only object if it were done inconsistently.

--Andy