Ahhhhhhhh!  This is quite interesting.  Have I been reading the wrong books,
asking the wrong questions or  both?  This can be quite a powerfull tool!
Again, thanks,
Matt

On 21 May '08, at 8:15 PM, Matthew Youney wrote:

> I just have no mechanism of sending messages
> to my "controller" class from my "model" objects unless the
> "controller"
> makes the call.

Typically the model doesn't "know about" the controller (or the view).
Instead it posts notifications when it changes, and the controllers/
views listen for those. That's what key-value observing is designed
for, or you can use NSNotifications. (Look either of those up in the
overview docs if you need details.)

This separation helps keep the model abstract and reusable. It also
makes it easier to handle multiple views of the same data, as happens
with multi-window or splittable UIs, as well as inspector panels.

-Jens