On 23 May 08, at 01:26, parag vibhute wrote:
I am developing cocoa application & using NSApplescript class to do shell scripting which involves zip command. I am using zip command for zipping the files because there is no framework api available for it. Even though libz is available, it is not easy to use. (I can't use NSData because I am using output zip file for distribution as an alternate to pkg). My query is "Is it possible that any Mac system will not have zip command?" because if there is then my code will fail. I went through docs & came to know that Finder uses
its own code for archiving the files.

Two answers:

1. The zip binary is a required component on 10.4 and above. It was optional but installed by default on 10.3, and was not installed by default on 10.2 and earlier. Statistics from Adium and the Omni Group both suggest that anything before 10.3 is basically nonexistent in the wild, so you're safe assuming it's there.

2. While libz may get you part of the way to reading PKZip archives, it only implements the deflate compression algorithm - it won't read the directory components of the archive for you. So don't expect it to do all the work for you.