On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Hamish Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Steve Weller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The hang up that I see is that this documentation give no clue as to the
> > reason for File's Owner's existence.
>
> >From
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/CoreAppArchitecture/chapter_7_section_8.html
> (the first hit on Google for "cocoa file's owner"):
>
> "You use the File's Owner object as the conduit for connections
> between objects in the nib file and objects outside of it."

which then point to "*Further Reading:* You can find out more about nib
files (including how to dynamically load them) by reading *Resource
Programming
Guide<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/LoadingResources/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000051i>"
*which explains the anatomy of a nib file:

"About the File's Owner

One of the more important concepts to understand when building your nib
files is what the File's Owner object represents. In Interface Builder, the
File's Owner object that appears in the nib document window is a proxy for
an object that your application will provide at runtime. When you
subsequently load a nib file into your application, your code can specify an
actual object to take the place of the File's Owner proxy. When you do, any
nib file connections to File's Owner are automatically made to the object
you provide (assuming it has the correct outlets and actions).

The File's Owner object is one of the primary connections your application
has to the contents of a nib file. File's Owner can be any object in your
application but is most often set to the controller object that manages the
corresponding user interface objects in the nib file. By using File's Owner
in this way, you can isolate the details of your user interface to your
controller object and let it manage the interactions with other parts of
your application."

Indeed, there is no clue ;-)

--

Julien