There is a private command line utility at the path:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/ Current/Resources/airport

Calling it with NSTask works. If there's a better way I'd love to know it.

It will give XML output with the right flag (-x) so it's quite useable. You can use it to check network signal levels and get a list of visible networks, you can join networks, create WPA keys from passwords, restore user settings (which never quite works, when I do it), etc. All the documentation that I know of that exists for this utility can be found by calling it with the -h flag:

 -z        --disassociate       Disassociate from any network
 -i[<arg>] --ibss=[<arg>]       Create IBSS
 -x        --xml                Print info as XML
 -s[<arg>] --scan=[<arg>]       Perform a wireless broadcast scan.
                                   Will perform a directed scan if the optional
<arg> is provided
-r<arg> --repeats=<arg> Repeat the command the specified number of times
 -A[<arg>] --associate=[<arg>]  Associate to network.
                                   Will prompt for network name if arg is not
specified
 -c[<arg>] --channel=[<arg>]    Set arbitrary channel on the card
 -h        --help               Show this help

 Which is to say, there's no real documentation that I know of.

-Pete