On Tuesday, May 27, 2008, at 04:32PM, "Jens Alfke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We did that the PubSub framework and it works fine, actually. You just
>have to check the "Call C++ Ctors/Dtors in Obj-C" build option in
>Xcode.

Ooh, I can learn something every day in these mailing lists. :-)

Just to add my $0.02...

I write all my libraries in clean C++ for portability, because I am comfortable
in C++ and I have a lot of legacy code in C++. Then I build Objective-C objects
when I build a Cocoa-based app, and I embed the C++ objects as needed into the
Objective-C objects. For the most part, everything is painless.

The gotchas that I often run into are: (1) Changing an Objective-C file to an
Objective-C++ object (by renaming it to a .mm file) often causes me to rename a
lot of files to .mm, because if the Objective-C class definition has a C++
object in it, every source code file that includes that Objective-C class
definition needs to be renamed to a .mm file; (2) I always declare my C++
objects in Objective-C classes as pointers, and then in the init method I
allocate the C++ object; (3) I often have two container classes for some
content -- one in C++ used in my libraries and one in Objective-C so I can
connect it to the GUI (e.g., via a controller), so I need to do a little work
to keep them consistent.

Todd