On May 27, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

On 27 May '08, at 1:40 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

You're looking for +[NSApplication
beginSheet:modalForWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector:contextInfo:],

I'm not surprised the OP didn't find this … it's my candidate for Most Misplaced Cocoa Method.

I suspect the general sheet methods (which are instance methods, not class methods) are on NSApplication for largely historical reasons. If you look at <AppKit/NSApplication.h>, you'll see that NSApplication has a couple of instance methods dealing with running a modal session "relative to" a window:

- (NSInteger)runModalForWindow:(NSWindow *)theWindow relativeToWindow: (NSWindow *)docWindow; - (NSModalSession)beginModalSessionForWindow:(NSWindow *)theWindow relativeToWindow:(NSWindow *)docWindow;

These are effectively the OpenStep predecessor to sheets. They're preceded by comments indicating that they're deprecated, but are not formally tagged as such in the headers.

There are also similar -- and similarly-deprecated -- functions in <AppKit/NSPanel.h> for running alert panels relative to a window.

In both cases, sheets are called out as the replacement technology, and the replacements are defined practically right next to the deprecated functionality.

  -- Chris