On 30 May 2008, at 07:52, Robert Cerny wrote:

Sorry for arguing with you,
but it's cocoa question. But I could be probably more specific - is there anything I need to do to support saving to network volumes using this method?

- (BOOL)writeToFile:(NSString *)path atomically:(BOOL)flag

Well... there was a bug in that method in that it uses FSReplaceObject() or FSPathReplaceObject()---I don't recall which--- and so if you've done what a lot of people with network homes do and symlinked your ~/Library/Caches to a location on your local hard disk, it barfs because the TemporaryItems folder isn't on the same drive as the file being saved (so the FS[Path]ReplaceObject() call fails, and for some reason nobody bothered to write fallback code for that case).

This was visible in Interface Builder, where "Save As" would work, but "Save" would fail with an error code. I got fed up waiting for a fix and moved my Caches folder back again, which is slower but at least it works. Maybe this is fixed now?

I don't believe that's the same problem at all though.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net