On 31 May 2008, at 18:17, Jens Alfke wrote:

On 31 May '08, at 9:27 AM, Jonathan Dann wrote:

Just a quick one. I would expect renaming a file named HELLO.TXT to hello.txt (or another variant where the case of a few letters change) with -moveItemAtPath:toPath:error: to be allowed. As it is not (it generates an NSFileWriteUnknownError) is this a bug or just me?

That ought to work, even on HFS+. (It's not a no-op, because HFS+ preserves the case of filenames, so getting the directory contents will return the name in its new case.)

If not, is there are more appropriate API for renaming files?

Try using the system call "rename". (Use "man 2 rename" to see the documentation.) Call -fileSystemRepresentation on your path strings to convert them to appropriate C strings.

—Jens

I'll have a look at that, would that break if my users have non-ascii filenames? I've only worked with NString, which handles Unicode transparently.

Thanks Jens,

Jon