On 1 Jun '08, at 5:50 AM, Nick Rogers wrote:

I want to show time remaining while executing a loop.
How to go about it?

Basic algebra, mostly. Compute the elapsed time (current time minus time the loop started), divide by the number of iterations so far [that gives you the time per iteration] and multiply by the number of iterations remaining.

Two caveats:
(1) It's best not to show this until you've gone through several iterations, because early on the results can be very inaccurate and vary wildly from one iteration to the next. I usually wait till the loop's about 10% done. (2) This works best if the iterations take a consistent amount of time. If they vary, then the farther the progress gets, the more the estimate is based on past timing and not on the current speed. For example, if you're downloading, and the network slows down halfway through, the estimate won't be accurate because it's based mostly on the earlier faster speed. Fixing this isn't rocket science (or tensor calculus) and is left as an exercise for the reader ;)

—Jens