On Jun 3, 2008, at 9:15 AM, j o a r wrote:

Would it be sufficient to cast, like this?
        :
        return (NSData *)myData;

Does this generalize to other non-collection classes, e.g., NSString?

In the general case yes.

I used to think that. Now I'm converting to making sure it truly is returning an immutable object. There have been cases where I've changed it under myself and run into problems. I figure if it says it's immutable, it'd better be immutable.

That said, because of my own bugs, I've also taken to copying some objects (if given as a parameter to a setObject: method, for instance) instead of simply retaining them. So I guess I'm moving towards being doubly safe.

If I get an object from AppKit or Foundation etc that's an immutable object, I assume it to truly be immutable. Maybe someone should write an automated tool like Ken Ferry did with alloc/init and figure out how many framework calls actually return mutable objects posing as immutable objects? :-)

--
Seth Willits