Can we see the code you're using to write the CGImage to the CGImageDestination?

I suspect the difficulty may be that you expect the metadata to be
carried with the CGImage.  It isn't:  You can get all the metadata
with CGImageSourceCopyPropertiesAtIndex, then you need to turn around
and pass metadata in to CGImageDestinationAddImage as the properties
argument.

Also, the CGImage you get out of the CGImageSource will behave like
your client's old hardware, in that it will not already incorporate
the orientation metadata.  If you wanted to draw the CGImage 'right
side up', you'd need to look at the orientation information copied out
with CGImageSourceCopyPropertiesAtIndex and take it into account.

Last, I think rotation can be performed losslessly on a JPEG, but not
with anything that ships on current versions of Mac OS X.  If that's
important, you still might want an external library.

-Ken