Buddy Kurz wrote:

For me it is a hot topic because after researching this subject two
years ago and reading said archives I started relying on
NSMailDelivery and now the powers that be have decided that it should
no longer be available. (wondering why?)
So I have to rewrite functional code and use a third party framework
or the scripting bridge which by the way isn't backwards compatible
with Tiger.

What's wrong with third-party frameworks? There's some excellent work out there and, assuming a compatible license, they're trivial to include in your application bundle for distribution. As for having to rewrite functional code; well, NSMailDelivery is only deprecated, not removed, at this point, so in principle you can continue using it for now (although it's probably good idea to look for an alternative sooner rather than later).

BTW, I wouldn't recommend using SB unless you specifically intend to interact with a particular mail client (or clients, bearing in mind that not every Mac user uses the same email client), given that it's hardly a transparent process: at the very least, users will notice when your app launches their mail client. I'll also mention that SB is lame and Mail's scripting interface buggy, so depending on what you need to do there may be some grinding of teeth involved at the very least. Best to ask on AppleScript-users mailing list if you need help there. Lastly, if backwards-compatibility is an issue for controlling scriptable applications, then your choices are either to invoke AppleScripts via NSAppleScript or use objc-appscript (another third- party framework that is, shockingly, better than the Apple alternative).

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net