Hi,

I'm a newcomer and I've been learning Cocoa for about a month now. I've successfully created simple GUI apps to get acquainted with the environment, but now I've hit a little wall trying to grasp the concepts.

It's about NSView and NSViewController. Bear in mind that I come from C ++/Qt (if you're familiar with that); I'm probably still applying the Qt way of thinking to Cocoa, and I'm trying my best to shift mindset. Please bear with me. ;-)

I've created a View (let's call it DrawView) where the user can draw lines. It is created directly in code, DrawView.{m,h}. It has two IBActions: undo and clear. It doesn't do anything else, because I may want to reuse this code for another purpose.

To make it more specific for this application, I want to embed that view in a larger view, created in Interface Builder, that contains two buttons (Undo / Clear), connected to the actions in the DrawView. No problem, I just drag an NSView on this parent view and set the type to DrawView.

Finally, I want to use a NSViewController as the glue between my view and a handwriting recognition engine. This is where I don't know how to continue.

To understand what I have problems with, let's suppose that I want to put a "module" consisting of an NSViewController, controlling the view with two buttons, which in turn contains a DrawView, on my main window. Do I put my DrawViewController in the root of the MainWindow NIB, and if so, how do I specify where the view will end up? Or, do I instantiate a a DrawViewController in my DrawView NIB, and put a DrawView directly into the main window?

I know I'm not explaining this very well; I don't understand the concepts well enough to do that yet. If it helps, here's what I would have done if I was using Qt:
1) Create DrawWidget
2) Create FancyDrawWidget (containing the buttons, a DrawWidget and connections) 3) Create HandwritingWidget, which contains all the logic + a FancyDrawWidget.
4) Plop a HandwritingWidget somewhere on my main window.

I'd be grateful for any help - including help on "how to ask the right question".

Kind regards,
Johnny