On Jun 6, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Andrew Merenbach wrote:

I believe that you might do some magic with -keyDown: -- I'm sure that someone else will have more knowledge about this -- but bear in mind that the latest-gen MacBooks (of which I have one) do not have separate Return and Enter keys -- just one. (Maybe the fn button changes it, but even if so, users would have to figure that out.) What about making alt-Enter/alt-Return add a newline, while leaving Return and Enter both to do the job of activating the OK button? Hope this helps, even if only a little!

Here is something I wrote on this before:

Here is the normal sequence when a text view receives key events:

NSTextView's keyDown: passes events to interpretKeyEvents:, which is where they enter key binding and input management. They come out either as insertText: or as doCommandBySelector: (see NSResponder.h for these three methods).

In particular, non-text keys like enter or return will (with the standard key bindings) end up using doCommandBySelector: to call methods like insertNewline: on the NSTextView.

If you are using an NSTextView, you should be able to implement the text view delegate method

- (BOOL)textView:(NSTextView *)aTextView doCommandBySelector: (SEL)aSelector;

and examine the selector.

If you are using an NSTextField or similar control, you can implement their delegate method

- (BOOL)control:(NSControl *)control textView:(NSTextView *)textView doCommandBySelector:(SEL)aSelector;

If you wish to do something different at this point, you might (for example) look at the current event and ascertain whether it is a key down and if so, what key it is.

In most cases you don't actually want to intervene at keyDown: time. That's because keyDown: takes place before all of the key binding and input management that is necessary in general to make sense of keystrokes; it would be easy, for example, for you to break input methods like those used for East Asian text. One possibility would be to use a keyDown: override to determine whether a particular keystroke is enter or return, but not to make any modifications at that point; instead, you could use that information to set a flag that would later be used at doCommandBySelector time.

Douglas Davidson