On Jun 6, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Andrew Merenbach wrote:

Quoting Ken Thomases <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Jun 6, 2008, at 3:43 AM, George Stuart wrote:

NSSortDescriptor *desc = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:nil ascending:NO selector:@selector(localizedCompare:)]; NSArray *sortedArray = [unsortedArray sortedArrayUsingDescriptors: [NSArray arrayWithObject:desc]];
[desc release];

That seems to work just fine... but I'm worried. I "guessed" at using the key of "nil" since I want the actual objects in the array to be the target for the @selector. Is it a fluke that this works? I don't want to rely on undefined behavior.

Hmm.  Good question.  You could use @"description" as the key to
eliminate the uncertainty.  Or maybe @"self".

Cheers,
Ken

Hi,

This may not be an option in every case, but would making a "wrapper" class for your strings work? It'd just be a basic class with an accessor/property and a corresponding ivar that would then be the sort key.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks very much for the responses! I'm leaning away from writing a wrapper as I'd rather try and leverage the base objects as much as possible. Adding a wrapper will add complexity -- every place a string is inserted needs to be sure to first wrap the NSString in my custom wrapper. It's a minor change, but would like to avoid this if possible.

The suggestion of using a keyPath of @"self" presents another question:
1) I assume NSSortDescriptor is using valueForKeyPath:, which in turns calls valueForKey: some number of times, to get the object for the keyPath I specified. Is it defined behavior that sending an object valueForKey:@"self" will return the object itself? I guess this is ultimately the same as my original question, "is it defined behavior that sending an object valueForKey:nil will return the object itself?"

As for using a keyPath of @"description", I think this might be the best way for NSString. I completely forgot about this option. The docs say:

        Returns the receiver.

        - (NSString *)description

Duh... That's precisely what I need :).