On 07/06/2008, at 12:16 PM, John Richetta wrote:

I have some core engine code that is written in C++, with the intent of keeping it portable. I only have a Cocoa implementation of my outer application, at present, so it's been a slightly academic exercise, but so far, most of the code in my data model remains substantially portable.

Now, as I try to implement undo, I find it difficult and messy to keep the C++ code portable. I have only come up with two similar ways to do this, and I'm curious if others have been down this path and can make any recommendations.

I have had the exact same problem and my solution FWIW is to bypass NSUndoManager completely and handle it all myself using a stack of undo/redo commands. So far this has worked fine and was pretty easy to set up. I am creating a drawing type application and my only worry is that I will eventually find a situation where I absolutely have to use NSUndoManager. Implementing a text shape will probably be the real test if my solution works but I haven't got that far yet.

hth,

Peter