Allison Newman said:

It's just that I can't help thinking about all of the comments that we see on this list from people coming from Java or some other language where header files aren't necessary, or which don't have pointers. They are confused by these things, and having to learn that at the same time as learning Cocoa itself makes for a very steep learning curve.

Indeed.

I was one of the Java people you referred to. Nowadays, my day-time job is game programming in C and I dabble on Objective-C/Cocoa when time permits, so I think I've now gotten used to header files and pointers. But those things still feel to me as nothing more than fossils.

I know that Obj-C is more dynamic than Java (and that's quite important for Cocoa to work its magic), but if Apple had never developed Cocoa and were to do it now, from scratch, I doubt that they would choose to do it in a language that sits atop of C. With the exception of the id and SEL types, categories, and the fact that you can send messages to nil, I can't think of anything in Obj-C that isn't done better in Java, with the added benefits that Java has no header files, no include cycles, no pointers, and has automatic memory management that works (judging from another thread in this list, garbage collection in Obj-C 2.0 has some wrinkles).

I wonder how much more productive Cocoa programmers are in a parallel universe where Cocoa's native language is Java, with some extensions added to the language to support the extra features mentioned above.

I never understood why Apple stopped supporting the Java bridge to Cocoa.