Bill Bumgarner said:

This comes up time and time again -- Why did Apple choose Objective- C vs. Language X?

That is off topic for cocoa-dev and, thus, not a useful direction for taking this particular conversation.

Point taken. I apologize for feeding this particular topic.

I believe, however, that there is an on-topic direction within which to frame this particular discussion that will be helpful to folks new to the platform and educational to those that may not know, say, Java.

Specifically -- a programming question. Easily framed.

How would you implement NSUndoManager in Java?

Actually, I think that discussing the details of how to implement X in Java is also off-topic for this list. Nevertheless, I will point out that Java has a whole package for managing undos (javax.swing.undo).

But here's the flip-side of your question, which clarifies what I had been saying in previous messages: what features of NSUndoManager require Cocoa's native language to be based on C? I'm not familiar with the details of NSUndoManager (as I said, I only dabble on Cocoa, so I'm really a noob) but I suppose the extreme dynamism of Obj-C are required. If that's the case, they could probably be added to any other language upon which Cocoa might have been based on.

Anyway, I'll stop here.

Wagner