Okay; I'm properly chastised for having originally read the documentation without as much understanding as I should have. That was a couple of years ago, and it worked just as it should have until recently. I've gone back through the documentation and now understand it much better, and I thank you for your prodding .

You were, of course, correct in saying that I "shouldn't be ordering the window in the first place" when I have a NSWindowController that's responsible for showing the window. Leaving out the line [theWindow makeKeyAndOrderFront:nil]; which appears in Apple's code takes care of this. That is, when this line is omitted, the windows cascade just as they should (provided, of course, that "Visible at Launch" is off in Window Attributes). Perhaps I'll respond to the "Did this document help you?" note at the bottom of the document page suggesting that a clarifying detail be added.

Boyd