On Jun 8, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Wayne Shao wrote:

So what exactly I should do in the start() method??

I think if you don't know, then you shouldn't be configuring your operation as concurrent.

I think that Apple chose badly in describing operations as "concurrent". What that really means is an operation that has a need to manage its own execution context. If you have such a need, it's expected you know what to do in the start method -- that is, the start method establishes the "custom" execution context.

Note that if you don't make your operation "concurrent" in this sense, but you queue it in an NSOperationQueue, that queue will still run it asynchronously, in its own thread, concurrently with other operations. It's just that, for non-"concurrent" operations, NSOperationQueue knows it has to manage the execution context itself (by spinning off a thread).

If I create a thread,
does the operation queue still enforce maxConcurrentOperationCount or I need
to worry about that in my implementation?

If you do go ahead and implement a "concurrent" operation, then the queue still enforces its own maxConcurrentOperationCount. The only difference is that the queue is relieved of the responsibility of putting your operation in its own thread.

Cheers,
Ken