LaunchServices or NSWorkspace (which uses LS) is still probably your best option, as NSTask is not really designed to deal with GUI apps.

To terminate the app, you can send a quit apple event or use applescript. This has come up recently, so search the list archives.

To detect when the user terminates the application, you can also use NSWorkspace. See the documentation for NSWorkspaceDidTerminateApplicationNotification

Adam Leonard