If you do want to make use of some of the nice features of NSArray that C arrays don't have, it is trivial to add a category to NSArray that makes object retrieval easier. See http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Articles/chapter_4_section_1.html

An example implementation might look something like this (not tested, and no type checking which you should probably do):

@implementation NSArray (PuzzleBoardAdditions)

- (id)objectAtRow:(NSUInteger)row column:(NSUInteger)column
{
        return [(NSArray *)[self objectAtIndex:row] objectAtIndex:column];
}

@end

and (after importing the category interface), you can call it with one clean line like [array objectAtRow:0 column:0]

Adam Leonard