> I'm not sure what you mean by shadow-object problem.

I'm referring to the 'brick' object returned by the tree controller in 10.4
which required hacks via a category and the private 'observedObject'
function.

In Leopard, [treeController arrangedObjects] returns a proxy object (the
> same way that NSArrayController does for its arrangedObjects method). The
> proxy object currently isn't a subclass of NSTreeNode. Feel free to pile on
> bugs for that one too.
>
> BUT, the treeController's arrangedObjects proxy DOES respond to two
> NSTreeNode methods -
>        - childNodes
>        - descendantNodeForIndexPath
>
> (I'm typing these from memory, so please check these with the .h)
> Incidentally, I believe the documentation is wrong about this. The header
> is right.
>
> NOW, you can iterate over the tree yourself, going from childNode to
> childNode getting valueForKeyPath@:"representedObject.name".

I tried that, as described (in IB with a keypath) and got the same error.

> I'm not sure I understand what you want to end up with. You have a
> treecontroller in each document and want only the frontmost document's
> treecontroller to drive an app global outline view? You should be able to
> rebind the outlineview when the frontmost document changes.

Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do :)

> Why can't you put the view and the controller in the same nib?

Because that's what Cocoa is forcing me to do (and the reason I suspect that
single-window apps are increasingly common) but that's no good for the
design of my application.