On further investigation, the App doesn’t have an .sdef, so, the “sdef” tool,
must generate it from the old style ‘aete’ resources. So, the fault could be in
either “sdef” or “sdp”.

I’ve trying to look at the output from “sdef” but it’s in a horrible format -
no line endings, so it’s hard to read. If I try to open it as an xml in XCode
all I get is a one HUGE line of text and XCode struggles to deal with it (slow
as a very slow thing on a cold morning).

Cheers
Dave