On Jun 29, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Gavin Eadie <ga...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Q: “Can anyone suggest a trick that allows an apparently synchronous call on
> the main thread without impacting performance?”

The problem is that the requirement is self-contradictory: "synchronous" means
wait, and "without impacting performance" means don't wait. While the real
requirement is probably more like "do certain things while the bg task is
running, then do something else when it completes". To really answer the
question, you have to break down what needs to be while the bg task is running
and what has to be done after, then categorize those into the type of tasks,
such as whether or not they interact with UI and thus have to run on the main
thread, and so on.

It sounds to me like your friend is trying to avoid that level of analysis with
a hand-wavy magic solution that both waits and does not wait. Sorry, but it's
time to open that box and see if the damned cat is dead or not ;-)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com