I feel this should be a simple question, but I cannot find an answer that works.

I have an open panel to which I am trying to add an accessory view. That much
works. However I would like the accessory view to resize to fit the width of
the parent window. It’s just a textual description, after all.

An old thread here:
http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/106875-setaccessoryview.html
suggests this is not trivial to do.

I have tried the suggested monitoring of NSWindowDidResizeNotification (and
also tried NSViewFrameDidChangeNotification), and these don’t seem to work
quite right. There have been plenty of OS changes since that thread was
written, so probably no surprises there.

What happens is that it doesn’t seem possible to *shrink* the Open window (I
guess the ‘hard’ size that I am setting for my view is affecting the minimum
size of the overall window) and, much more alarmingly, I get crashes when
resizing.

The alternative suggestion related to IB struts doesn’t seem to work for me
either. I set all four edge struts and tried both with and without the
‘resizeable’ arrows in the middle of the view. No effect.

Can anyone advise on the current and correct way of getting the accessory view
to resize appropriately? It seems this should be a common desired behaviour,
but haven’t had any luck doing it or finding any recent examples/advice on
google…

Thanks
Jonny