> On Jul 11, 2015, at 2:03 AM, Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> In particular, use unique keys for each bit of text you localize, don't use
> the English strings. Words in languages are like circles in a Venn diagram,
> they overlap, but are rarely identical. Therefore, it's very easy to
> mis-translate something by using a translation that is correct in one context
> and nonsensical in another, because the other language would use a different
> word.

I agree with this but should point out that this goes against the philosophies
of some within Apple (including a team I briefly worked on) who insist on using
the full English string as the key and using genstrings to generate and match
such strings.

One such example on an older product I worked on had the single word "State"
used as labels for two different selections for very good reasons. For example,
one place might have an answer California (geopolitical location) and another
context would be On (condition of a variable), but at least on that product, we
had not coalesced the strings in the way genstrings does; however, our British
English translation did for a brief time humorously label On and Off with
County (I imagined a Monty Python skit could from that).
--
Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPad)
http://www.garywade.com/