On 14 Jun 08, at 10:49, Michael Hall wrote:
I googled up this one. Might of taken more than a minute I'm afraid.
Checksum, Please
http://yamacdev.blogspot.com/2006/12/checksum-please.html

It suggests zlib which should always be available, shouldn't it?

Yep. There was recently a discussion of this on the list, actually.

         fprintf(stdout,"crc=%i\n",crc);

Note that this'll print out the CRC as a signed integer, which is almost certainly not what you want.

Unfortunately, testing got sort of inconsistent results.
./testcrc
crc=-286616648

Like I said. If you convert this to hex, you'll get 0xeeea93b8, which is the correct CRC32 of "test".

doesn't seem to work out quite the same as...
crc32 test.txt
f783d7be

This is the CRC32 of "test\n". Watch your newlines.