On 28 Jul 2015, at 7:17 pm, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to get an NSURL into PHAsset form, but I keep coming up with null.
> PHAsset fetchAssetsWithALAssetURLs: takes an NSArray of NSURLs: "An array of
> NSURL objects, each an asset URL previously retrieved from an ALAsset
> object." Apparently, this is not a simple array of NSURL objects.

Well, more specifically, it sounds like an array of “asset URLs previously
retrieved from an ALAsset object.”

> 2015-07-28 19:04:36.221 hsvst[577:76956] assetURLs (
>
> "file:///var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/9C51BEE6-80A7-15A4-72DA-19E447A75E25/Documents/hsvst_0005.mov"
> )

Indeed, that looks like a file:// URL representing a path to regular disk file
on the filesystem, not an asset URL from an ALAsset object.

Have you looked at +[PHAssetChangeRequest
creationRequestForAssetFromVideoAtFileURL:] ?  For example:

> PHAssetChangeRequest *assetRequest = [PHAssetChangeRequest
> creationRequestForAssetFromVideoAtFileURL: self.sourcePlayListItem.url];
> PHObjectPlaceholder *assetPlaceholder =
> assetRequest.placeholderForCreatedAsset;
> /* treat assetPlaceholder as a PHAsset and do something with it */ ;

What are you ultimately trying to do?

cheers,

-ben