> On Aug 18, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> But, in my own defense, I was looking for verification first that the
> mechanism is safe in 100% pure Swift. The next thing to verify is whether
> it’s safe with an @objc base class in Swift. Only if both those things are
> safe does it make any sense to wonder if an Obj-C base class is safe.
>
> However, the test you did doesn’t give much cause for optimism. I suppose
> *selectors* would have to be namespaced to solve the problem for the Obj-C
> runtime, wouldn’t it? For compatibility reasons, that seems unlikely, which
> makes it unlikely that this problem will ever be solved for Cocoa frameworks.

Hey, you know what *does* work? Going back to the original test:

MyBaseClass.h:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface MyBaseClass : NSObject

- (void)foo;

@end

MyBaseClass.m (initially):

@implementation MyBaseClass

- (void)foo {
    fprintf(stderr, "BOOM!\n");
}

@end

App code:

import MyFramework

class MyClass: MyBaseClass {
    @nonobjc func bar() {
        print("BLEAH!")

let obj = MyClass()

obj.foo()

Output:

BOOM!

MyBaseClass.m changed to:

#import "MyBaseClass.h"

@implementation MyBaseClass

- (void)foo {
    fprintf(stderr, "BOOM!\n");

    [self bar];
}

- (void)bar {
    fprintf(stderr, "It actually succeeded at Not Being Seen\n");
}

@end

Output without recompiling:

BOOM!
It actually succeeded at Not Being Seen

Output after recompiling the app:

BOOM!
It actually succeeded at Not Being Seen

And reverting MyBaseClass.m to the original and not recompiling the app:

BOOM!

So, if you declare all your new methods as @nonobjc and the base class remains
written in Objective-C, any new private method added to the base class will be
concealed extremely well.

However, we happen to know, it's in the water barrel. (“BOOM!”)

Charles